Thursday, April 26, 2018

Dreaming big....

A few years ago I made a wedding dress for myself because my husband said he wanted have new wedding pictures taken. He was going through a healthy regiment and lost a lot of weight - enough to fit into his wedding suit. So I went through a fun but frenzied period of choosing gowns from my pattern stash, narrowing them down to 3 and made bedsheet muslin versions of them to see which one looked good on me:
Vogue 8285
Simplicity 2639
Eventually I settled on Vogue 2237, which was strange as I was never really big on strapless dresses. I have fairly broad shoulders and back and I thought the straplessness would enhance the broad shoulders. However, the final product was not bad at all:


I used a plain white heavy matte satin for the dress and a 100% cotton broadcloth as the lining and foundation. I wore the cathedral length veil I made when I got married the first time (years ago!) and carried the same bouquet my mother-in-law made years ago (fake flowers are good that way!). I did my own hair and make up. A good friend of ours took pictures of us. It was such a fun and exciting day!

Now I'm dreaming about to do something like that again when I have finally recovered from cancer. It's so fun just doing the planning. I don't think I'll do strapless again. I think I should try another style to learn something new. Off to Pinterest for ideas!!!

4 comments:

  1. I remember when you made this wedding gown - it looked wonderful on you! I have the opposite problem to you, my shoulders are narrow compared to the rest of my body. I think your body type is actually better for a strapless dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I'm trying to figure what sewing lessons I want to learn from this new wedding dress, e.g. new type of fabrics, new pattern, draping, etc.

      Delete
  2. I think it is a wonderful things to plan and have optimism to help you recover...you will have many happy hours ahead of your working out what you want to do with this. Read your other post too - hope you were well enough to go to your daughter's party, but if not, I hope you and she enjoy it together through photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! It's great to occupy my mind with fun and exciting plans and ideas, while going through difficult cancer treatments. Although I'm not actually getting down to cutting and sewing, I can still sketch and surf the internet.

      Delete