Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Refashion: Rainbow Brocade Tunic to Dress

Another quick refashion!  I thrifted this rainbow coloured ethnic brocade tunic at my local thrift store for only $4.99. I love the fabric and the lovely neckline.



With my trusty seam ripper I took off the sleeves, then the side seams. I used an existing shift dress to trace and cut the intended armhole on the tunic. I tried on the garment and pinned out chest darts from the armholes. I then pinned down the sides for it to be pullover dress while still wearing the garment. I sewed the darts and the new side seams together and raised the hemline by approximately 2.5cm.  So here is how the final dress looked on me:
(Hahaha! I looked like I only have 1 leg in this photo!)
The only complain I have is that it's a bit tight across just above the bust. After wearing the dress for some time, a horizontal crease appeared above the bust. You can actually see a bit of that in the photo above. I'll test wear it out and see if I want to alter it again.

2 comments:

  1. Great refashion! You really have a knack for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! I a soft spot for unusual looking fabrics and good workmanship when I go thrifting. The neckline of this tunic was what caught my eye.

      Delete