Monday, October 3, 2011

Pattern Review: Butterick 4609


I'm determined to not buy any new sewing patterns or new fabrics. Here is a review of Butterick 4609 which I think is out of print now.

Pattern Description: Loose-fitting shirt has collar and collar band, full length sleeves, shaped narrow hem at lower edge. A: cuff with 2 buttons and flower with bands. B: cuff with 2 buttons and tie. C: french cuff with button links.

I made View A in size 12 but with sleeves from Simplicity 5204. I'm lazy and the Simplicity pattern has a faux button sleeve that was much easier to do.

Pattern Sizing: 8-14, 16-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except for the sleeves.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the loose fitting part of the pattern, which means I didn't have to do an FBA. Although now that I'm nursing my baby, the shirt is tight across the chest. It's not that I don't like the sleeves of this pattern. It's just that I'm really lazy and didn't have much time so I chose the Simplicity 5204 sleeves instead.

Fabric Used: It was from the cheapy bin. It looked like some sort of craft or quilting cotton that is a light peachy colour with dark orange pattern on it. I thought it might make an elegant shirt.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: As mentioned, I used the sleeves from Simplicity 5204 instead. I also did a petite waist adjustment.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I would sew it again in another fabric and I would definitely recommend it to others.

Conclusion: Easy to sew. And if you are looking for a shirt that's not super-fitted but doesn't look like a sac, this is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment