Sunday, June 30, 2013

We are back....and some DIY toiletries....

My laptop had been giving me major problems this past month - problems so bad that it was unusable. I was barely able checking my emails on hubby's computer (which he is using all the time) each night. While I was moving it around a few days ago I dropped it on the ground, and then incredibly, it started working like before again! I still don't know what caused the problem but I'm backing up everything in case it decided to stop working again. Oh how I love and loathe technology!

I have been doing a little bit of sewing and will post those projects soon. In the meantime, I have been trying to figure out how I can further reduce my carbon footprint and live a less toxic life. My preschooler will be going to some summer day camps and one of the location is about 30 min brisk walk from my house. It's actually not that far but since there are major construction happening in my neighbourhood, I'll need to take the long way around which takes about another 12 minutes more than necessary. I think in the mornings when he is going to that day camp, I'll try to push the stroller (with my toddler sitting in it) while my preschooler is standing at the foot rest at the back. That will save me a car trip and will be a good workout for me. I think I'll use the car when I pick him up at noon because it'll be way too hot to do that trip again for everyone. I don't want the kids or myself to get a heat stroke.

I have also been using my homemade toothpaste for a few weeks. I think it's working out great! I noticed that my teeth appeared whiter even only after 1 week of use. I checked many DIY blogs and it seemed that most recipes are 50:50 Coconut oil and Baking Soda. I also added drops of Peppermint and Spearmint essential oils to get that fresh taste in my mouth. The toxins in the commercial toothpaste has really scared me after I read about them on the Environmental Working Group site. I go to that site very often, not only to read up on the hazard levels of different commercial ingredients, but also to copy the ingredients of those that the site approve of to make my own concoctions.

The only drawback (and it's an annoying one) is that my sink is a bit plugged by all the DIY toiletries I'm using. They are all based on Coconut Oil or Olive Oil. I'll try to use a Vinegar/Water solution to spray everything down every night and see if that helps.

Next I'll be making the DIY deodorant with what else but what I have stocked up already - Coconut Oil and Baking Soda and Lavender essential Oil. I'll also be making the DIY Insect Repellent with Citronella essential oil and sunflower oil. Will report on the effectiveness of those soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment