Saturday, June 8, 2013

New Homemade Organic Face/Body/Hand lotion

My family and I have been using my own homemade organic Face/Body/Hand/Feet Butter for a long time. The previous formulation had beeswax in it and it is a bit heavy for the warmer seasons. So I did some trial and error and made a new formulation. This batch is more 'lotion-like' and works very well with the pump bottles. And it's sooooo easy to make!


Recipe:
1. 3 parts Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
2. 1 part Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Steps:
1. Melt the 2 oils in a double boiler over medium heat.
2. Once everything is melted, remove from heat. Use a stick blender to blend the oil mixture until the mixture is luke warm.
3. Pour the mixture into a glass mason jar, put the lid on and put the jar in the freezer to cool.
4. Take the jar out of the freezer after about half a day. Leave the jar at room temperature. The mixture will soften gradually and will be ready for use in a few hours.

You can leave the lotion in the jar or pour it into a pump bottle with a funnel for ease of use.

The main step I find that works for me is to freeze the mixed oils in the freezer instead of letting it cool down on the counter. I find the consistency is much better after it was frozen and thawed.

This lotion is much easier to apply all over the body than the previous body butter with beeswax. And I love the coconut scent all over my body and face. I don't even need to add any essential oils as a fragrant. I think I might include this as a X'mas gift for friends/family this year!

6 comments:

  1. I am going to have to give this a go - it sounds great! And a coconut scent always makes me think of beach holidays...very relaxing...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith for your comment. I love the scent of coconut too, especially because it's safe to use on young children unlike some essential oils.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I already have both those things in the house, so maybe I'll try it. I made the switch to coconut-oil based deodorant a while back and it works better than anything I was buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Adrienne! I am experimenting DIY non-toxic toothpaste right now and will be tackling coconut-oil based deodorant next too. I hope this lotion recipe works for you.

      Delete
    2. Ok, so I made some yesterday! I put it in the freezer, then when it was frozen took it out and set it on the counter. But it seemed like it was turning back to a thin liquid once it thawed (like the olive oil). I thought the coconut oil would keep it a little bit thicker consistency than it did. So now my lotion is in the fridge, which is fine, I just have to scrape off some to use it ( I keep my deodorant in there too which means I have to let soften up before use). Do you think I did something wrong? Maybe I didn't blend it long enough? I made about a cup of lotion. (3/4 c coconut oil to 1/4 c olive oil). Sorry for the long-winded post! I'm still learning how to do homemade body care....

      Delete
    3. Hmmm! I did notice that in the summer my coconut oil is more liquid than in the spring and autumn. Right now, my current room temperature is about 22 Celsius and the mixture is perfect. Is your room temperature higher than that? If so, you can add more coconut oil to make it firmer. Basically the objective is to make a slightly more liquid coconut oil cream with the help of some liquid olive oil. So may be you can try to add more coconut oil or less olive oil to make it more solid?

      Delete