Friday, September 15, 2017

MAGAM Sept project - Pink tweed jacket finished

My Sept MAGAM Pink Tweed jacket is finished! I only have 1 metre of this wool material so I had to be very careful what pattern/design I use. I decided early on that I would make a cap sleeve jacket because:
  1. A long sleeve wool jacket would be very hot to wear, even in winter.
  2. I don't have enough fabric to make a long sleeve jacket.
Initially I wanted to use one of my tried and true jacket pattern: Simplicity 8850 or Simplicity 1688.



However, after some further 'digging' into my pattern stash, I decided to use Simplicity 2730 View C (the cap sleeve jacket):


I had made a muslin of that jacket in size 14 a year ago but didn't actually progress any further. This time I added little pockets cut on a bias with a selvage trim, a full lining, and added 2 back waist darts. I used a little black beaded brooch as closure for now. I'm still searching for the ultimate beaded button. Or I will make one myself. In any case, for now, this is the result:


And this is how I will be wearing it in the Fall/Winter this year:



I think the cap sleeves and the short length of the jacket made my upper body more boxy and wide. However, I'm wearing it anyway! Next time I would make this jacket a little longer to reduce the boxiness. Also, I may tailor the waist a bit more to fit my body better.

The pattern review for this jacket is at PatternReview.com.

10 comments:

  1. It is a boxy style but I really like how it looks. The pockets are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! It's boxy but I'm wearing it as much as possible this Fall/Winter season!

      Delete
  2. I would wear it too - it's really cute. Boxy is in at the moment, so I think you will get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! I think the boxiness is not really that much of a problem. I usually gain a little bit of weight in the winter. And I usually would probably wear more clothing under the jacket. So Boxiness is practical for winter wear!

      Delete
  3. Oh, how lovely! It turned out very well! I love the selvage trim and the brooch closure. This is a good piece for the upcoming fall - like a vest, it will keep your back warm without being too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I hope to wear this a lot this coming Fall/Winter season!

      Delete
  4. "Boxy" on top would look great with a pencil skirt on the bottom,for proportions. Your jacket turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! I think you are right. Something boxy on top goes well with something more slim-line at the bottom.

      Delete