Sunday, January 1, 2017

First Refashion of 2017! Actually a Re-Refashion

Happy New Year Everyone! Since I learned how to alter shoulder seams on jacket late last year, I couldn't wait to practice this skill again. This cotton purple jacket was thrifted and refashioned previously:

It was too loose on the back. I removed the lining stitches and deepened the centre back seam to achieve a better fitting jacket:
However, I didn't wear this jacket much after the refashion. The shoulders are still too big and the long length didn't make it easy to wear with everyday clothes. So I decided to refashion this refashioned garment.

I narrowed the shoulders using the same technique as the red wool jacket. The shoulder pad was huge! Then I shortened the hem to just below the hip. I think it's a lot more wearable now:


It's really difficult to take a good indoor picture with such a dark velvet fabric.
I am quite happy with this. I think this jacket is now more versatile for dressing up and down. I can wear a tshirt with jeans with this jacket, or I can wear a simple black dress with statement necklaces with it.

Now should I continue to refashion/alter all the not-quite-right jackets in my wardrobe?

6 comments:

  1. It's amazing what the right alterations do for a garment! I need to gather up my courage and do this to a jacket I have in mind. It's an outdoor jacket but the principle will be the same.

    What a beautiful colour this jacket is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Happy new year to you and your family! I think you should try this technique on your jacket. I can't wait to see it! The tutorial link that I included in the last post (Red wool jacket) was really helpful to me. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. A little blazer length jacket always looks just right, whatever else you wear with it. And velvet is so "in" at the moment. As for the other jackets, if you don't wear them, then maybe. Or maybe they will go into something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! I think you are right about the length of the jacket. Since I'm short the longer jacket length overwhelms my body.

      Delete
  3. Another terrific re-fashion! It is really amazing what you are doing to these jackets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I'm just really happy that I have learned and applied a new technique!

      Delete