Saturday, March 5, 2016

MAGAM March Project - Striped sweater dress - Butterick 5146

I can hardly believe it's already March! We have lots of snow this week so we are still in the deep of winter here. No chance for me to think about sewing Spring clothing yet. And for me, when in doubt (regarding sewing projects), sew a sweater dress!

The March theme for the Make A Garment A Month group is 'Make over March'. I decided to use a stash fabric that I had used before and a stash striped wool blend sweater knit fabric to make a dress. The last time I used this pattern, I did a refashion of a RTW dress into a little red dress for myself:
Refashioned RTW dress based on Butterick 5146
I thought it fit well enough so I wanted to use it again to make a proper dress with long sleeves. I used size 14 again and did the short waist adjustment and changed the split neck into a jewel neckline. I found the sleeve cap and the upper arms to be too voluminous. So the next time I make it I will scale it down properly. It was a very easy to sew pattern for knit dresses or tunics. Highly recommended! I'm sure I will use it again in the future for another knit dress.

The wool blend sweater knit fabric has been in my stash for almost 6 years! I bought it to make stuff for the kids but then realized that kids and wool might not be such a good idea. It has 2 sides: one side is a grey and wine striped and the other side is plain grey. This allowed me to play with both sides and use the plain side as the sleeves as well as the neck binding.



My review of this pattern is at PatternReview.com.

8 comments:

  1. What fantastic little sweater dresses - just right for your lifestyle and climate. Ilove the buckle fastening on the red dress - brings it right up to the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can always use a sweater dress! It's cold here 6 months of the year so I'll definitely have lots of opportunities to wear it.

      Delete
  2. How lucky you are to be in part of the world that still has snow in March! I love the cold weather and your sweater dress and boots are perfect for it. The dress looks sooooo warm and comfy. I love your red one also. Utilising patterns, thats what I love to see! Same pattern, completely different look. And the buckle is the perfect finishing touch. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! I have to admit I don't mind the snow that much. It makes me appreciate summers a lot more!

      Delete
  3. Love everything about your oh-so-cute, yet practical dress! The fabric must be cozy warm and looks great in the stripe and gray. I did not realize you had used the same fabric for all! Nice! You look great styled this way with belt and boots. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I'm actually surprised that it looked okay on me since I already have a very rectangular body shape.

      Delete
  4. I love your sweater dress as well. It looks so warm, cozy and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana! It turned out to be useful and not too shabby looking! ;-)

      Delete