Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Travel Friendly Versatile Little Black Dress (LBD)

In January, I was searching for ideas for the Most Versatile Little Black Dress for me. One of the criteria of a versatile dress is that it needs to travel well. So I turned to my favourite fabric ponte knit in my stash for this dress. It's based on my go-to Moderate Stretch Knit dress pattern - Butterick 6771. I used it to draft a Faux Wrap Little Black Dress which was very quick to sew:


It has a slightly A-line shape which suits my body. The wraps are sewn to the side seams down to about mid-thigh. So there is no chance that it would blow open in a gust of wind. I made it sleeveless to maximize its versatility.

There are just so many ways to wear this dress. Here are just some examples:

To the Office - with a black belt and Navy blazer:

To a Date/Dinner/Wedding - with a pink pashmina:


For layer in the Fall - Long sleeves shirt, leggings and boots:

Ponte knit is perfect for Travel Packing. It doesn't wrinkle, drapes perfectly, perfect for all seasons, except for the bitterly cold winter. And as a knit it means it's comfortable to wear and one can eat a good size meal in the dress. The faux wrap neckline provides a little more interest than a plain T-shirt dress. So I'm really happy with how this Versatile Little Black Dress has turned out!

Do you have a Travel Friendly Little Black Dress that you keep wearing?

6 comments:

  1. Cute and versatile dress! Especially love it with the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I hope I'll get tonnes of use for it.

      Delete
  2. I love the look of the wrap dress, but they always pull away at the most inappropriate places. This is a great idea! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tami for your comment! I know what you mean about real wrap dresses. That's why I'm all for faux wrap dresses!

      Delete
  3. nice dress...and you make me interessted in ponte knit

    ReplyDelete