Monday, May 9, 2016

Spring sewing - Spring Tweed Dress McCall's 5518

I thought I would put aside the beige wool fail project for a while and start something fun and easy. I chose this yellowish/greenish spring tweed with little sequins from my stash. I wanted to make a simple pullover tweed dress for spring.

For the pattern, I chose McCall's 5518 from my stash. It looked like a pretty straight forward pullover tunic dress pattern:


I chose View C but as I was sewing, I forgot to sew in the collar piece. So now the dress has the split neck  but not the collar. I drafted my own pocket pieces  as the ones in the pattern were too large for my liking. I decorated the top of the pockets with strips of the selvage. I also experimented the with sleeves and without sleeves options:

I decided against sleeves as I thought the boxy sleeves make me look even more dumpy.

I'm not in love with the dress. It's too boxy for my liking and for my body shape. Even with the belt, the dress is too shapeless for me. McCall's 5518 is not for me! I do like the fabric so I'll have to figure out if I want to refashion it to something else or not. This unfortunately was not the easy 'win' I was hoping for. Oh well! Back to the Beige Fail jacket.......

The review for this pattern is at PatternReview.

No comments:

Post a Comment