Thursday, September 6, 2018

Learning to make better hats - Fundraising for my Chemo Centre

I have been bitten by the bug to make better hats! I think I'll search through the web to learn about making better and more durable hats. I'll try to learn how to stiffen them and decorate them.

One of the problems of making hats and bags, etc, is that I will end up accumulating too many of them. When I was making lots of bags and jewelry for my Handmade by Lovenicky store, at least I could sell some of them at craft sales or give some of them as gifts. Hats will be harder to sell because of their specific sizes and styles. I guess I could go to my local Chemo Centre and see if chemo patients are interested but it's still kinda awkward perhaps make chemo patients feel uncomfortable that I see them with no hair. (I'm not sensitive about my bald head but hair seems to be very very important to a lot of women).

What do you think I should do? I would like to give the hats as a nice gift or perhaps make a small fundraising event for my local Chemo Centre. How should I approach this?

3 comments:

  1. I've been trying to think how this could work best and most easily for you, but I'm not familiar enough with the whole picture. What if your town/city has a store for wigs, mastectomy garments, etc.? maybe they would sell your hats, especially if the proceeds are to go to the Chemo Centre as you said. A craft fair would likely be too tiring for you to run it, but maybe someone would do it on your behalf. Or if your church has a bazaar (especially coming up to Christmas a lot of our churches do), maybe they would set up a table with the hats and information that proceeds were for the Chemo Centre.

    I hope you can figure something out; it's a fantastic idea and would benefit so many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas! I think instead of me trying to figure this out myself, it's probably best to ask the chemo nurses who are very experienced in this area. I want to make sure whatever I make is actually useful to the chemo patients!

      Delete
  2. Hope your plans for the chemo hats went well.

    ReplyDelete