Friday, August 17, 2018

Chemo Hats for Summer - Butterick 3687

Oh how I miss sewing and creating! I made this floral hat in an hour while being mad at myself for having to late night laundry (long story).

I got tired of trying to tie the headscarves different ways before they become all wonky. I thought a light weight hat would stay on the head better. So hat sewing here we go!

This is an Out of Print hat pattern that I have made before. I made View F. The reason it's a tried and true pattern is because I have a larger than normal head comparing to other women. Usually the large sizes are 23". This one is 24"! Yay for me.

I used a remnant outdoor black and white floral fabric, added a black trim and black buttons, and a white poly cotton broadcloth lining. Everything from my sewing stash. Didn't need to buy anything at all. Voila! I thought at first the floral pattern looked more like a brain but the kids assured me that they saw nothing but floral. And I even brought this hat to my Boston trip!

So remember! When one is sad, mad, or restless, run to your sewing machine!! LOL!


See my review on PatternReview.com.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that looks great! What a fantastic hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruthie! For some reason when I'm angry, the sewing actually runs faster! LOL!

      Delete
  2. What a great looking hat! And isn't having a stash a great thing? You can sew something anytime you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! I love my stash! I'm going to my Chemotherapy centre to see if other chemo patients are interested in some hats too! Easier for me to put on a hat than to tie a scarf!

      Delete
  3. Your hat looks very sharp, Nicky! Being able to sew is such a useful skill. By the way, my head is bigger than normal, too. I always say it's because there are more brains than normal in there, but maybe it's a sewist's issue - ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! That's the same explanation I have been using about my large head too!

      Delete