Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pattern Review: Butterick 4930 (altered) jacket

I'm still using existing fabric stash and pattern stash for new sewing projects. This pattern is from 2006 and actually for a coat. I don't remember why I bought it because it's really shapeless but for a coat I guess it's okay. I made the short version in size M with modifications.


I have had this hot pink thick cotton sweatershirt fabric in my stash for a long time. I thought I could make a jacket for layering in the Fall/Winter. I am not really a pink clothing person but I thought the bright colour could brighten up my black and grey Fall/Winter wardrobe.




The pattern is super simple with no darts anywhere. It was supposed to have this puffy peter pan collar which I thought would be to fussy and childish looking on my short frame so I omitted it. I knew the pattern would be boxy and shapeless so I added back darts to give it some shape.   I intended the jacket for layering thus I didn't want anything too fitted (it's difficult to see the back darts in the picture). I added black shiny buttons from my stash to jazz it up a little. I think it looks okay but hubby thinks it makes me look stumpy. Perhaps the big wide sleeves are to blame? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment