Sunday, October 23, 2016

MAGAM Oct Dress done!

This turned out to be quite a quick and easy dress to make. It took just a little bit of time to match the plaid but overall it's not bad at all. I made slight alteration to the pattern. I shortened the sleeves to 3/4 sleeve length. I eliminated the front split neck.

The green brown plaid fabric is quite drab. So I searched through my stash notions and found some remnant green bias tape from x'mas, and some black buttons.I flattened the green bias tape and sewed it onto the centre front. I sewed buttons onto the tape so that it looked like a faux buttoned placket. Then I bound the neckline with the same green bias tape. I thought it looked alright until I put it on me. Somehow I thought it looked a bit matronly. I don't know if it's because of the fabric pattern or the trim/buttons that I added. What do you think?


I wore my purple tights and knee high boots to make the dress look less matronly. I wore it out today and it was very very comfortable to wear.

I still have some of the drab knit left. I'll see if I have enough to make a jacket. It would be fun to get another chance to brighten the knit up with other remnants fabric/notions in my stash!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! Your choice of colours in both the trim and the tights really complements the fabric. (And as I said on your last post, I really like that plaid to start with :)) It would be interesting to see what other combination you could come up with, though. Colour is such a personal thing. Everybody's tastes differ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I guess I just need to get used to the very muted colours of the dress. Since it's really comfortable to wear, I suspect I will wear this often this Autumn.

      Delete
  2. I don't think it looks matronly at all. In fact, I love it! And, if you make a coordinating jacket, that will highlight the turquoise faux button placket even more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! I'm looking at Pinterest to see if I can find some inspirations there to jazz up the plaid knit.

      Delete
  3. I didn't think it looked matronly - it's smart, casual and understated. And certainly with bright tights it doesn't. I hope you wear it and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! I think the green bias tape and the bright tights certainly help. I guess I can always wear some bright scarves with the dress as well.

      Delete